Thursday, November 3, 2011

Safety First

We had our safety and health information session so you know what that means…NO MORE EMAILS FROM STUDY ABROAD! YES! In all honesty though, the safety and health session made me really nervous about going abroad. My main concerns aren’t blood borne pathogens, malaria, or getting mugged or hit by a car. My main worry is getting traveler’s diarrhea! I am 97% sure that traveler’s diarrhea is going to happen to me. I just hope I’m not the one person on the trip that is sick the entire time! Also, it seems like Jan always has a new story every week about someone needing to go to the hospital or the group getting stomach flu or something. I’m sure it was not a huge deal though and it’s not like anyone died so I should be fine. I’ll just make sure to bring all my meds to keep me healthy! It also didn’t help that we talked about Amy Biehl in class. Amy was an American visiting South Africa who was murdered by black South Africans who assumed she was a supporter of apartheid. It was sad to here that Amy was killed as a result of anger towards the apartheid system. It is comforting to know that her family understands the anger surrounding her death and have started a foundation to keeps children away from violence. I am happy we have Jan and Jess with us on the trip to inform us of the safe places to go and I’m sure the atmosphere in South Africa post apartheid has grown more positive, although vivid memories of it still exist. 

With all that being said,

My Wish #1 for Cape Town travels: avoid traveler’s diarrhea and motion-sickness 

No comments:

Post a Comment